Slingers Sign another Key Player
Newsletter # 29
Jason Castro Wins His 3rd MVP in a Row
Five Minutes with ‘The Doctor’
The Singapore Slingers have added another key piece to their roster with the signing of 6’10” Darius Rice while Jason Castro continues to impress:
- Darius Rice signs with the Slingers – The attached newsletter provides details on the Slingers key signing of American Darius Rice. A 6’10” small forward formerly from the University of Miami, Darius is a scoring machine who has put up big numbers wherever he has played. He holds the scoring record in the NBA development League, NDBL, where he scored 52 points in the final in April, 2007. His size and sweet shooting touch will pose some match up difficulties with NBL teams and give the Slingers a solid scoring option.
- Jason Castro Continues to Shine – The Slingers key signing from the Philippines, Jason Castro, won his third MVP Award in a row and guided his team Harbour Centre to a historic 5th straight Championship. Team owner Dr Michael Romero said of his ace guard, “Jason deserves his third MVP trophy because he really worked hard for it. He actually raised the bar for guards for his quickness, leaping ability and craftsmanship”. Jason will now look to his next big challenge of leading the Singapore Slingers to similar success.
- ‘The Doctor’ Speaks Out – The Slingers other key signing, Darren Ng, was recently interviewed by Tan Thiam Ping from Sportmag on behalf of the Singapore Sports Council. Graduating at the end of this month with a medical degree, Doctor Ng is proof that you can combine education and sport and his interview is open and inspiring. His combination with Jason Castro in the Slingers backcourt will be the first all-Asian backcourt in the history of the NBL.
- Singapore Roster Takes Shape – The signing of Darius Rice leaves one ‘Import’ spot remaining for the Slingers team roster that will play in the Hummer NBL 2008/09 season to commence at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on the 17th of September. Coach Gordie McLeod has one more American import spot to fill and the basketball committee has narrowed their selection to another key piece to make the Slingers a competitive and aggressive outfit this coming season.
- A Corporate Package for Everyone – Slingers Chairman Tony Fernandes says a corporate package with the Singapore Slingers is, “The best and most exciting sporting value in Singapore”. Newsletter #29 outlines three basic levels of association with the Slingers for all home games at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. The Slingers ‘Great Wall’, at only $1,000, helps the Slingers play their part in the continued development of basketball in Singapore. The ‘Corporate Seating’ package, at only $3,200, is an easy way to join the Slingers with prime seating, drinks from Brewerkz and Le-Raisin wines and the opportunity to network with the Slingers many corporate supporters. A private, ‘Corporate Hospitality Box’ is the best way to watch a game. Entertain your key clients along their partner and children in the air conditioned, family atmosphere of a Slingers game. The Singapore Indoor Stadium can cater up to 72 corporate boxes for all Slingers home games so get in early to reserve the best location for this season and first option on the next. ‘Early Bird’ prices are available for all who sign up by the 30th of June. Join the 1,000’s who have quickly learned to experience “The Coolest Ticket in Singapore”.
HOOP LA & GO SLINGERS!!
Basketball Enterprises Pte Ltd