Invite initially came from twitter…
You are cordially invited to watch and participate in a LIVE web demo of XID at http://ustream.tv/channel/brianshaler, starting at (about) 1:00pm MST/Arizona Saturday 2/2/2008….
What is XID?
The XID project is intended to provide a free, open, and decentralized method of sharing your online presence with your friends.
The most important thing about social networks is being connected with your friends. By storing and filtering your friends’ XID information, you will easily be able to see which of your friends already have accounts on any given social network. No email address book importing. No searching for each of your friends’ names. You don’t need to rely on the web site’s friend-finding mechanisms if you have XID.
What will be Demo’d?
XID is a platform, and when the platform is launched, so will a set of complementary applications. The applications involved are not yet complete. I will be showing and explaining what has been completed so far. Currently, there is an optional web application that is intended to allow new users to quickly and easily set up an XID card without looking at any code. There is also a Firefox extension that allows users to import and manage their friends’ XID cards.
The web application consists of these key features:
- Registration/Login: Create a card and come back to edit it
- 3-step process of creating an XID card: Save basic personal information (Name, Location, etc), contact information, and profile URLs (all optional)
- Profile URLs: People who use the same screen name on multiple sites can add them to their XID card with one click
- Public URL for XID card: Give this URL to their friends
Those features have been at least partially implemented and they can be previewed right now. There will be more features in the near future.
The Firefox sidebar extension consists of these key features:
- Add: Paste a friend’s URL and the extension will retrieve the friend’s XID card and add it to a local/client-side database
- Friends List: Display all friends and show how many social networks they are on
- Networks List: Display all networks friends are on, in order of popularity
- Friend Detail View: Display all social networks a specific friend is on and provide links to the user’s profiles
- Network Detail View: Display all friends on a given social network
- Recent Activity: Shows if friends have added or removed any social networks
Again, those are features that are at least partially implemented and there will be more to come.
NOT Just a Tour
There is no scheduled end time for this Live web demo. After an initial tour is complete, I will discuss current and future features with anyone in the UStream chat room (UStream account NOT required to participate!). I will also work on writing code to implement features while discussing them. Live.
At the expense of a little productivity, I will attempt to multi-task.
For Singapore and Asia interested people here is the time it will be in Singapore !
|Phoenix (U.S.A. – Arizona)||Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 1:00:00 PM||UTC-7 hours MST|
|Singapore (Singapore)||Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 4:00:00 AM||UTC+8 hours|
Get more updates details here: on Brian Shaler Blog
APLINK will be there !